Attendees : Aparna, Vibhavaree, Madan, Sridhar, Milind, Prema
Skype: Jyoti, Binay, Sree Kamireddy
Note taker: Prema Grandhi
Topic 1: ISC Pune
- Indian Sponsorship committee - to provide support system for the marginalized sections of society - after school education support for kids of workers at brick kilns
- Gender equality
- Pune branch is working autonomously
- Governing board in Mumbai - volunteer run - major decisions happen in the governing board
- The team in Pune - paid positions
- Focus today - education and gender rights
- Sponsored by different donors in different locations. Asha supports Yerwada slum settlement area
- 2228 children benefitted from this education program
- 1896 kids benefitted from gender sensitization program.
- Early childhood development program - 367 kids supported
- If people in the local area see children who need help, they contact ISC staff for help
- Reading library program was successful in Lakshminagar Support class
- Breakdown not there for Tata trent
- How many kids attend a class?? How many repeat? What makes them come back? How many hours do they have to come to class ? What is the result they get from it?
- What will they do if they have that additional 7 lakhs versus not? Will they
- Financial data
- Asha 14,24,000 INR in Jul 2016 - Jun 2017
- Balance from last year - Jul 2016 - March 2017 - 4,21,599 (since we have a buffer from last year)
- Ask for Apr 2017 - March 2018: 21,34,650 + 4,21,599
- We can only fund 10% on top of 14,24,000 = 15,66400. If there is one-time component that we can support, we can fund that.
- Everyone in favor of not withholding 4,21,599 for the funding period April 2017- March 2018, due to change of financial year
- Everyone in favor of funding 15,67,000 for the funding period April 2017 - March 2018
Topic 2: One time funding guidelines
Presenters: Project -co-ords
- Funding priority
- Infrastructure and per unit funding
- Perishable material
- Teacher/staff bonus
- Bail out existing project partner - needs vetting
- Funding amount
- <=30K if it can fund upto this amount (800/36 projects to make sure we are fair to all projects )
- >30K, we can fund 30K now and additional funding, we can revisit in Sept.
Binay : We should look at proportion of the project recurring funding.
- Fund existing and new projects
- Let's be more aggressive and reduce the timeline since we may not have all projects come for one-time funding
- If we are above 1.5 WCR this year, we don’t get funds from Asha central, we do not have to return that money. By end of next year, if we did not spend this money, then we need to return this back to Asha central
- April 30th is the deadline
Topic 3: Dhrupad Sansthan
Presenter: Vibhavaree, Avanti
- Music education for young adults (20 yo) - 4 year training program to become artists.
- Very poor or local middle class upbringing families
- Asha has been supporting since 2 years
- Located in Bhopal, MP
- Make music more accessible to people all over the world
- School where they come n stay, in Bhopal. Full 4 yr course, shorter term - 15 days, 2-4 mons
- We are focusing on the 4 yr students.
- Library, classes taught by Gundecha brothers. They also hold workshops and concerts around the world. When they are not around, the senior students teach.
- Full time learners are 31
- Scholarship based
- Secretary, Chairman and Trustee. Ramakanth Gundecha primarily runs everything. They have cooks n gardener
- Nepal, Kolkata and Chennai locations and also distance learning via skype
- Started a percussionist group called Madhya-laya
- 62 lakhs expenditure
- 1.19 crore income
- Donors-Tata Trust, Asha, Kalyan ji and Anand ji trust
- 1 teaching building and 1 hostel building. They ran out of hostel building space. They want to now have a second hostel building and have people who come for short term courses to pay for hostel stay and over-time pay for itself. They have 17lakhs in the banks, donors have lent the money and they just use the interest for expenses. They have the space and they built the building in 2016. Fully occupied during busy season.
- They built a small Saraswati temple, in the space next to them. Plan to make it a meditation center
- One additional student supported by Asha - performed on All India Radio. 2 students got graded A by AIR
- Organized Dhrupad festivals performed across the country.
- Asha seattle supports residential and food expenses for the students
- Sajan Sankaran (student), Ramakanth Gundecha - key contacts
- Scholarship is for boarding and lodging but we only support boarding
- Youngest - there is a 8 yo kid. Others are all 20 yo
- They started construction of another building - for office and workshop
- Tata grant gives 3000 per student for their living expenses
- 2 students graduated - 1 started a school in Pune, other is teaching and joined kavi sammelan
- Site visit - done in 2016 by CS Balasubramanian
- FCRA is being renewed by end of this month.
- How many end up becoming performing artists?
- How do they find under-privileged students?
- They don’t go reach out. Students come to them and if they need scholarship, then Dhrupad provides. 4 students do not need scholarships.
- Jyoti - Can we do some fundraising concert by Gundecha brothers when they are in Seattle?
- Asha Funding
- Asha sent INR 15,35,00 last year
- This year they are asking for slightly less - 14,89,125 (per student - 6000 per month, for people who only have lunch - 2500 per month)
- Everyone in favor of funding Dhrupad Sansthan INR 14,89,125 for the funding period of Apr 2017 - March 2018
This page has no comments.