Attendees : Binay, Palani, Rashi, Sridhar M, Prema, Prashant
Skype: Sridhar D, Geeta D, Sudha Reddy (SF)
Topic 1 : Adruta Children's Home annual update
Presenter : Palani
- Mission: educating, nurturing and developing destitute children by providing balanced nutrition, quality education and all-rounded development in a healthy safe and loving environment
- RAWA academy - Prof Mohanty is the contact person
- They do organic farming
- Bhubaneswar center has cows, and children take care of them
- Last year we disbursed, INR 32,00,000
- Ask : this year is to match last year's + inflation increase
- Their growth is not standard and donors are not steady. Asha is the largest donor
- Asha has been supporting since 2006 - livelihood of 51 children (45-50% of Bhubaneswar home)
- They have new computer lab but no internet yet
- They have their own land, they also have plan to build old age home
- They have doll room, open lawn, organic farm etc
- They have vocational training - tailoring
- They eat ayurvedic food - vegetarian without onion and garlic. Lot of fresh vegetables
- They don’t do adoptions, or used clothes donations
- The place is very clean. They kids wake up at 5 am and go for yoga. They take dance music classes. They have a tutor who comes and teaches all the kids
- They have other homes at Puri, Cuttack, Angul.
- They do Pathachitra and pottery paintings
- What avenues have you explored for setting them up for fundraising?
- Have to look into someone who has bandwidth for this.
- Do they have anyone doing fundraising?
- They are not very strong on fundraising
- Dr. Mohanty is not doing with health. Is there anyone else who is trained to succeed him?
- There are others who help him but not someone who can have a vision and drive it
- Is there someone they can hire?
Everyone in favor of funding 32 lakhs + 10% = INR 35.2 lakhs for the period of June 2016 - May 2017?
Topic 2: Adruta Children's visit
- Contract with KPC is signed.
- They are on to perform on Jun 27th on Monday
- Saved about 15% (less than last time) on hall booking fee
- Palani is reaching out to Odiya community here
- They are traveling to CA, and other places on their own expenses
- We are doing a fundraising pitch at the Adruta home
- Planning just started. Sold about 25-30 tickets, publicity is just starting
- We have Odiya community signed up to help. So we might have more people showing up at the event. We need help for publicity - posters etc.
- They are here from 23-30th June - 4 adults and 7 kids
- We should wait until the whole trip is over, so we can see if California and Houston do not cover the travel cost, we can cover the gap. We shoul
- Event expenses : KPC expenses, accommodation expenses, food expenses.
- Palani will follow up after the event
Topic 3: Aarti Home(Vijay Foundation trust)
Presenter - Sudha, Prema
- This was showcased at the workshop in May 2016
- Similar cause as Adruta child home
- Sudha keeps visiting them in Kadapa - she stays in california
- Sudha proposed to Asha SFO as well
- Goal : See a world where the birth of a child a joy, irrespective of gender
- Mission : Bringing vale to the girl child.
- Started in 1992 - one abandoned girl who is working as a radiologist now
- Sandhya Puchalapalli is the founder.
- From there on, she started an orphanage as more and more children showing up
- Govt. gave a grant for the land, so they have an orphanage home there and a school
- Provide home for orphaned children, run awareness programs, provide education, advocacy for rights, lalitha cooperative for vocational skills, community involvement
- Aarti home - orphanage home ( a month old to 17 yo)
- Girls and boy ratio - 70% or more is girls
- 1000+ children have called it a home over the years
- 700+ rescued from traffickers
- 120 kids currently live in the home
- Skills development - lalitha development cooperative
- Trained in Embroidery, tailoring, beautician, infotech etc.
- Expanded to 200 villages
- Community outreach - women's leadership programs, legal rights campaign, counseling etc.
- Aarti Education - School founded in 2007
- All of aarti home - free education
- Underprivileged kids based on financials - free education
- Scholarships (90%) and 10% pay their fee
- They just started computer lab in dec 2015 with funding from Asha SF
- They also have a library
- Challenge has been quality of teachers and retention of teachers
- Plan to expand computer lab (19 computers + 2 projectors now). They watch Khan academy classes and other computer training aids
- Geeta (Sridhar's wife) volunteered to be secondary steward
- We still need to get project coordinator sign off
- Currently they have 15 full time, 4 part time teachers and one head mistress
- Watchman, maintenance person, etc for Aarti school
- Stationery cots
- Food for orphanage home
- Vehicle rental - land for school is about 10km away. So a vehicle, auto, to pick up the kids - adds to the cost
- Female feticide number?
- 40% do not go to school. What is the source?
- Why not send them to regular schools?
- Some of the children were sent to govt. schools - telugu medium school. So the kids could not find a job after. So they decided to start a school - english medium school -be a model for good quality education
- Funding from other sources?
- European union funding - 3 year project for awareness programs across all mandals in kadapa
- Team Shakti - 1 time project to computer education
- Private donations that are ongoing
- Is there any ongoing support from Govt. or local organizations?
- No on-going support from Govt.
- Surrounding schools and colleges are aware of it due to interschool competitions. So better volunteer support, not necessarily ongoing support
- How is the lalitha cooperative doing? Ongoing sale of products
- We train about 5000 women but we are only employ about 50 people. Not able to actively outreach and sell them
- Fashion design is a challenge.
- Everyone in favor of funding Aarti home for USD 15K (INR 10,00,000) recurring budget funding we have left, for the period of June 2016 - May 2017, towards teachers salaries, provided we have project coordinator bandwidth.
- Yes : 7
- No : 0
- Abstain : 0
Note: Latha Nath has agreed to be the chapter coordinator for the project Aarti Home(Vijay Foundation Trust)
This page has no comments.